What Can I Do in the Summer?
- Read, read, and read some more! I can overemphasize how important it is for your child to read every day for at least 15-20 minutes.
- Take part in the Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge sponsored by Mrs. Aude. www.scholastic.com/summer
- Take A.R. tests at the library!!
- Write spelling words, plus bonus words, on whiteboards.
- Do word searches or crossword puzzles.
- Spell the days of the week, number words, colors, and months.
- Tell time using an analog clock.
- Use the calendar to ask, “What day of the week is ________?” or “How many more days until ___________?”
- Practice counting by 2’s to 50, which will be important when learning multiplication.
- Count assorted coins to $1.00. Some students are ready for beyond $1.00.
- Do apps for 1st grade: Addition, subtraction, fractions, time, money, reading words, etc.
- Practice sight words from the orange folder.
- Practice sound cards from the school website.
- Cook with your children and discuss fractions.
Ex.: ¾ = 1/4+ 1/4 + ¼
- Have them cut food into fractional parts, such as pizza, bars, jello, etc.
- Write letters to friends or relatives.
- Write thank-you notes.
- Do workbooks from stores, such as Walmart.